5 Shocking Facts From The O.J. Simpson Police Chase

On June 17, 1994, 95 million people tuned in to watch former NFL superstar OJ Simpson as he led police on a low-speed, 60-mile chase across Los Angeles. Here are five shocking facts you might have missed, even if you were glued to your TV set...


June 17, 1994, Was a Big Day in Sports History Even Without OJ. While over one-third of the U.S. population sat on the edge of their seat waiting to see how the OJ chase would end, several big-name athletes were busy making sports history. June 17, 1994, was Arnold Palmer's final round in a U.S. Open game and was also the day that Ken Griffey Jr. tied Babe Ruth's home run record for hits before June 30th in a single season. On top of that, June 17 was the official kick-off of the World Cup and Game 5 of the 1994 NBA Finals between the New York Knicks and Houston Rockets. The New York Rangers also had their Stanley Cup victory parade that day.

Simpson Had a Fake Mustache With Him in the Bronco. At 6'1" and well over 200 pounds, Simpson was pretty easy to spot in a crowded room. Then consider the fact that he was one of the most recognizable faces in sports history, and you'll understand why the man thought he needed a disguise. But a fake mustache? You can do better than that, Juice. Despite the fact OJ claims he was not running from police, evidence in the car suggests otherwise. In addition to the infamous gun he carried, the iconic White Ford Bronco had $9,000 cash, makeup, OJ's passport, and some adhesive for the 'stache.


On June 17, 1994, Dominos Sold as Many Pizzas as Super Bowl Sunday. The chase kicked off around 6:00 pm PST, right at the time most families would be settling down to dinner. But, of course, no one wanted to be stuck in the kitchen that night. So, families across America did what anyone would do in such a situation—they called Dominos. The popular pizza chain had over 10,000 locations in 1994, and on the night of June 17, business was booming. Though the company declined to share actual sales figures, one executive claimed that sales equaled that of a Super Bowl.  

Rosie Greer Said O.J. Confessed to Him Roosevelt “Rosie” Grier, who played football for the New York Giants and L.A. Rams, said that while Simpson was in jail, he confessed that he had committed the crime. Grier said the prosecution was interested in using this information as evidence. However, because Grier is a Protestant minister, the evidence was not allowed to be presented in court.

Of Course He Drank Some Orange Juice After the Chase Ended. What? You thought "The Juice" was just a nickname? After the five-hour chase ended in OJ's driveway and a stand-off between Juice and the LAPD, officers were finally able to coax him from the backseat of the Bronco. After exiting the car, OJ went inside his mansion, called his mom and poured himself a tall glass of orange juice. His poor mother was admitted to the hospital shortly after from all the emotional stress suffered during the hours-long chase, stand-off, and arrest.